twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Big Spender


I went to the Agra Fort yesterday, it was only 2km from my hostel so I opted to walk rather then take a rickshaw.

View from outside the Agra (red) Fort
The fort, although it had an expensive entrance 300rs($6.50), was fell worth the money. It is a huge castle like fortress and one of the main attractions in Agra. The well persevered red brick walls that towered over twenty meters high make me wish I could have seen it back in it's prime days. I spent most the afternoon there wondering around, talking, and taking pictures, with random people. I couldn't help but think while looking around how much my brother Byron would love to see this up close as he's always been the one in my family with the strongest appreciate for history.

Me at the Taj Mahal
This morning I had my alarm set for 5:30am, I had to see the Taj Mahal! During sunrise before the crowds seemed like the best plan of attack. It almost hurt paying the 750rs entrance fee when you see Indians only paying 20rs for the exact same thing, but that's good old racist India for you. India likes to segregate everyone as much as possible, both race and sex. I know there are reasons for this but it still bothers me, anyhow that's a rant for another time.


The Taj Mahal was a glorious site! The pictures can't do it justice, the sheer size and amount of dedication that went into this ultimate monument to love is astounding! I lost track of time on the grounds, after walking around I just sat and watched the main building, just soaking in all the architecture that has fascinated so many people for hundreds of years. One of the seven wonders of the world only meters in front of me.

I should probably book some trains soon as my flight is coming up and I'm still quite far from Mumbai. Hmm.. on the other hand... I am hungry and ordering food is easier then planning future travels..

1 comments:

Unknown said...

In response to your rant:

There are lots of places around the world that have two entrance prices, one for locals, one for tourists. I know it is frustrating as a tourist, but I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why this happens. Can't wait to discuss them with you when you get back.

Post a Comment