twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Almighty Agra


The train ride from Varanasi to Agra, although only 14 hours, seemed to drag on forever. I booked a berth on the highest class available (AC2), splurging the extra $14 to have a clean(ish) toilet to be hunched over. I'm still quite sick but am slowly getting my energy back. Hopefully tomorrow I will be back to 100%.

As for Agra, it has been quite a surprise. For such a 'touristy' city it lacks the high prices and high concentration of Caucasians I was expecting. After a cheap rickshaw ride, 50rs, from the railway station to the south gate of the Taj Mahal I started my search for a hostel room for the next couple nights. It wasn't long before I came across the 'Shanti Hotel' were I was able to get a nice room for a refreshing price after some bargaining. (for 333rs/night I'm getting a big room with cable tv, double bed, fan, couch, and attached bathroom with 24hr hot water)

The rooftop restaurant/lounging area of my hostel has one of the best views of the Taj Mahal. I have yet to decide when I'm going to see it up close but with such a steap admission price, 750rs($16), I'm going to wait till I'm feeling a bit better and can enjoy it for a good half a day. When I'm feeling more budget conscious I can walk merly 50 feet from my hostel for some 15rs($0.30) breakfast (toast, eggs, fruit, and tea) or 30rs($0.60) for a mid-day thali (a traditional meal like we ate in the ashram).

Random moment of the day: I found a gate leading into an empty park around 500 meters west of the Taj Mahal and went for a wonder. I found a shady rusty and decrepit tower that I climbed for a great view of all the surrounding city and a few exotic birds that were running around the park. When I finally decided to leave I discovered the gate I came through, the only gate in the park surrounded by a high wall, was locked. Turns out it was a scam. There was an old lady who locked me in and only let me go when I promised her money (she wanted 500rs).  This is one of the few times I've lost my temper in India. I after yelling at here for a minute I threw 3rs($0.06) in a nearby pile of cow feces and spit on it. I'm getting rather sick of how many people try to trick and scam you everywhere you go. But the number of bad experiences has always been vastly outweighed by the good, so there is still a smile on my face, regardless of what happens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment