twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hello Sushi.. erm Bangalore..


I arrive in Bangalore early in the morning. When the rickshaw drivers see me with my pale skin and large bags they all rush over hoping to get some nicely inflated fares from me. I ask the first one how much it would be to MG rd., 450rs he says! I don’t mind bargaining for a price but there is a point where it just gets offensive. I walk away after laughing at him to the next driver. The fair goes down to 350rs, still well above what a local would pay. On the third or four drivers I spoke to I finally got a reasonable offer, 250rs (the government ‘fixed’ rate). After a bit of work I get him down to 180rs and off we go to MG rd. ‘the heart of the city’.

First sushi night with some friends
The hotel I checked into was double what I paid in Kovalam and less than half as nice, I suppose that’s the price you pay for its connivance and location right on the downtown strip. While walking downtown to scope things out and get a drink I hear a couple people shouting “Simon, hey simon over here!” I look over and see the three I stayed with in Fort Kochi (Kochin) before I left for the ashram. I find it amazing how when I travel to new places full with millions of strangers I still run into friends I’ve met before; it’s happened so many times already and I’m sure it will again as I head up north.


For those of you wondering... I did get sushi, twice! I ate at India’s most highly regarded sushi bar on top of the ‘UB’ high fashion mall. The food was amazing as was the atmosphere. The doors must have stood at least twenty feet tall with huge stone statues and waterfalls inside. Sure the single ‘all-you-can-eat’ sushi meal cost me almost all of my budget for the day, but it was worth every penny.. or umm every rupee..

Eating India's finest sushi
With the satisfying feeling of sushi in my stomach it was time to book a train onwards to Hampi. All the travel agent said they couldn’t get space on a train so I decided to just book it myself with the help of www.cleartrip.com. My ticket for the 14 hour train journey came out to 157rs ($3.5). It’s funny how the train rides are now cheaper than the taxi to and from the train stations. (The overnight train rides which I’m a huge fan of will actually save you a good amount of money as they replace the hotel for the night)

I’ve heard Hampi is like Narnia meets Star Wars, I’m looking forward to renting a motorbike and exploring the ruins.

0 comments:

Post a Comment