twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Monday, November 22, 2010

Hampi (Day 3-4)


I've been spending most my days randomly driving on my motorbike, stopping whenever I see something of interest. I ran across a massive boulder that had a temple at it's tip. After I got to the very top I took a quick look around and was about to head back when someone invited me to join them for tea and see the rest of the temple. Turns out there was a huge area behind the temple even higher in the rocks. I spent a good two or three hours talking with some of the people who lived at the temple about anything and everything from religion to technology to social norms. It wasn't until the sun started going down that I realized so much time had passed, I had to quickly say my goodbyes and go back to Hampi while there was still some light out.
The next day I ate some breakfast and went to book traintickets to.. somewhere. I ended up vandomly picking Varinasi (although getting there involves two trains and three full days of traveling). After that was all sorted it was time to find this monkey temple my friends had told me about. Problem was the temple was on top of a mountain on the otherside of the river, but there where no bridges to cross at. I found some people crossing in little circular 'boats' and decided to give it a try. After I got my bike into the boat and we pushed away it felt as if my motorbike and I were going to fall right through the thin flooring into the river, to my releif we made it across in one peice with minimal water getting in.
 The climb upto the monkey temple, once I eventually found it, was exhausting. The stairs were steep and seemed to be neverending. Remembering my enconters with the monkeys who like to steal at Elephanta Island, by Mumbai, I packed everything into my bag and closed the zippers as I reached the top. It wasn't much of a temple but what a view! You could see for miles on every side, I sat there for a while just looking out and appreciating the landscape for my final day in Hampi.
I leave for Hydrabad this morning, then transfer on to another train tomorrow to continue to Varanasi. It will be my first time in Northern India. I'm quite excited and I'll be keeping you guys posted on how it goes!

3 comments:

Kaufmanised said...

hey dude,

haven't commented in a while, glad is all going well for you and your still loving your travels, Hampi is on my list of places to visit now :)

How long do you have left on your journey and what you envision you want to see :)

Kirk

Simon S said...

Thanks Kirk,

Hampi definitely is one of my favorite places so far. I have just over half a month of traveling left, my departure date is closing in surprisingly fast.

As for whats next, I just booked a train westward. Figure I should probably check out the Taj Mahal since I'm in India. No Idea after that but I have a couple long train rides to think about it! haha

Kaufmanised said...

the Golden Temple is supposed to be awesome plus the Indian/Pakistan border ceremony isn't far from that and its an amazing sight to be seen :)

google them, sorry to hear you've feel ill for the first time while out there but to be honest you been lucky man to last so long without getting the old delhi belly lol

Post a Comment