twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Friday, November 26, 2010

Varinasi, the holy city

How is it I always forget my camera in my room when I need it most? The night I arrived in Varanasi also happened to be the day of a festival for the god Shiva. I made it down to the Ganges where there were thousands of people with candles and offerings having a puja(Indian prayer/ceremony). It was an amazing site to see and a warm welcome to the city as I was able to join in using some of the chants I had learnt back at the Ashram.

My basic but cheap room.

The hotel I found, or rather was taken to, turned out to be fantastic! Not only is the 'Old Yogi Lodge' cheap (200rs[$4]/night for a single room with attached bath and 24 hour hot water) but it also sports internet facilities, a decent restaurant, a great rooftop terrace, and an atmosphere that reminds me of my favorite hostel back in Goa (Evershine Guest House).



Cows need lovin' too!
With the money I'm saving by staying here I can afford to start taking yoga classes again, the first one being earlier this morning. The price of food was also a pleasant surprise, being the cheapest I've seen yet.

Rough food prices - hakka noodles 50rs, veggie burger 25rs, cheese&mushroom pizza 60rs

p.s. There are monkeys everywhere.

0 comments:

Post a Comment