twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 12: Worst Case Scenario


Today started off great but ended with one of my worst fears coming true.

Four other travelers and I where planning to leave for the ruins in Hampi this Wednesday but those plans aren't looking so good for me anymore.

For those of you who don't already know I have type 1 Diabetes (Juvenile onset via my genetics) and use an insulin pump to control it. Yesterday my pump stopped working because of moisture/water that got inside of it, as soon as I got back to my hostel I took out a back-up pump I brought only to find out it no longer works. I'm currently on my 'back-up back-up' plan but it's a method I haven't used for a good 10 years now.

Things are a bit rough right now but I've decided to stay in India and work out for a new insulin pump to be shipped to me here in Goa, India. I will be staying in Goa trying to keep things under control until the new insulin pump arrives. They said it will hopefully be here by the end of the week, if I contact the Canadian Consulate to get customs to put it through quickly. Once it arrives I will be able to continue my travels in India and will head down south.

- Simon

2 comments:

Paul Sywanyk said...

Shitty that the moisture/humidity wrecked your pumps, but it sounds like you got it under control. I hope the new pump gets to you soon so you can continue exploring!

Simon S said...

The ocean may have also played a factor in the incident but I'm not going to confirm anything as it is being covered by the product insurance.

But I have everything more under control now. It's still a bit rough as I'm use to the ideal, but it's looking like I will be able to manage until it arrives without any serious problems, fingers crossed.

Post a Comment