twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 6-7: Leaving Mumbai for Goa Time

On Tuesday I finally got a mobile phone SIM card for India! I don't have anyone's number, and can't remember mine right now either, so I will be sending off some messages for those of you who may want it. Please also email/FaceBook msg me your cellphone number if you feel like keeping in touch. International text and talk is dirt cheap; something like 6rs($0.11)/min for talk and 5rs($0.10)/text msg.
Outside Prince of Whales Museum



In the morning I made it to a couple of the museums that I had tried the day before, but this time they were actually open! There is a great little Monetary Museum that was free entry and probably my favorite of the day. I also made it to the much over hyped Prince of Whales museum. It was interesting as it showed much of India's rich history but for the amount of entrance fee (Indians-10rs Foreigners-300rs + 200rs for a camera licence) I don' think it was worth it.


I got to the train-station about 8 hours early for my train to Goa. Originally I was just going to check out the waiting room and go explore the Colbra/Fort region more, but instead I ran into two female backpackers from "Austria..not Australia" they said. Apparently a lot of travelers and locals they have met get the two mixed up! They were waiting for the same train so we spent the rest of the day together, they even taught me how to play Uno and share in my interest of 'people watching' which has proven to be one of the best forms of entertainment in India.

Upper Berth - AC2 Class
The train from Mumbai to Goa was 14 hours long, but it was over night so the cost of the ticket just replaced what would have been spent on a hostel for the night. The tickets where around 1100rs($25) for AC2 which is one of their nicest classes of train they offer (although it would be below acceptable standards in most western countries). There was a huge cockroach, for the entire trip, trapped in the reading light right above my head, so I listened to music and talked with others in my berth.

Arrival in Goa: Sarah, Claudia, and I all got off at a small train station and we split ways. With the two of them going a little more south than I. We did get the chance to swap contact info though and they called to say they would be coming up to see me towards the weekend.

What a difference Goa is from Mumbai. It almost seems like a left India when I arrived in the hippy center of Goa which is Anjunna. Beer is cheap and times are looking good.


3 comments:

SW said...

Hippy center? You know I'm into that!! Can't believe you haven't memorized my number already. I'll shoot you an email asap :)

Simon S said...

I know you would love it here Silvia! You can spend the entire day eating and drinking on the beach-side and it still comes out to practically nothing!

p.s. I shot you a FB msg earlier today with my Indian number.

SW said...

Oh man, fb so evil. Still not going on it but I will login just to grab that number.
Keep the posts coming!

Post a Comment