twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 13: Coping without an insulin pump


Waking up my body feels stiff and slightly painful to move. It's the feeling you get when your blood sugar is 4-5 times that of a normal person. I took it easy today trying to cope with not having an insulin pump and figure out the right dosages that I should be giving with my 'back-up back-up' plan.

I would like to thank my parents for all the help they have given. Last night I was calling the company who manufactures the insulin pump but the connection was terrible as was their service. The company, Minimed, ended up disconnecting on their end once followed by two more representatives simply hanging up on me because they didn't want to deal with my case. My Indian cellphone credits where running low so I gave my final call to my parents back home and they worked everything out, including having the new insulin pump shipped to me in India with a tracking number. They also went out to a diabetic clinic to find out the right dosages for me to be taking so I have some sort of benchmark to use. So thank you mom and dad as you were, quite literally, life savers.

Current insulin pump location: Just arrived in Paris, France

The #1 road hazard, cows!
On the bright side I bought some new clothes today as the local varity is light and made for the weather (also I really don't feel like washing my other clothes). I bought two pairs of pants, two shirts, and a pair of Crocs which have dalmatians on them (when you are a size 12 in India your choices are quite narrow). Everything came to a total of 700rs ($15), I overpaid a bit as I wasn't in prime bargaining mode but everyone at the hostel was still impressed with how low I can get things for.

About twelve of us from the hostel went out for supper together tonight at a nice resort that has its own private beach. I ordered some baked rock crab with a side of steamed veggies, for 200rs ($4), and it was absolutely amazing! It was some of the freshest green vegetables I've for weeks and the crab was stuffed with a mix of meat, spices, and cheese. Talking about cheese, I went to Dominos for pizza earlier in the day for lunch. I ordered cheese crust bbq chicken, for 300rs ($6.5), but forgot that food here is never done quite the same as back home. I took my first bite and cheese shot out everywhere! Instead of just cheese filled crust the entire dough was filled with cheese. 

That's it for today, hopefully I'm feeling better tomorrow and can get back to the beach life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment