twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Friday, September 17, 2010

Day 2: Mumbai gets better


I only slept for 2-3 hours last-night. Finally got out of bed after laying there for hours and tried to get into the shower. After waiting for what seemed like forever I finally got in, I hate common bathrooms. Not only do I have to squat on for the toilets, but I also have to squat to fit in the shower.

Gateway of India
After getting that out of the way I took a taxi with Nathan to the Gateway of India, I hailed it right in-front of the traffic cops so he would have to use the meter. A note to those traveling to this area, the men 'selling postcards' by the Gateway of India are actually drug dealers, which get very annoying. We boarded a boat for Elephanta Islands which cost 160rs($3.50) return plus 250rs($5.50) to enter. It started to pour rain as we got off the boat but stopped just as we arrived at the entrance. After buying some roasted corn-on-the-cob and a cheap drink we headed in.

We where than confronted with a monkey. He grabbed for my corn but I was hungry so I avoided his attack and he went for Nathan's instead. I ended up loosing mine a couple minutes later when confronted with several more hungry monkey thieves. Lesson learned I thought, don't eat around monkeys. A little ways up in the boiling humid heat I pull out my drink, not a second later a monkey flys through the air and grabs it! He then proceeded to unscrew the top and drink my earlier purchase.


After arriving back from the island we wondered around the tourist area and came upon a McDonalds, sorry but there food is intense and I needed a break. On the way out I stopped to talk with two others who looked slightly out of place. They were 22 year old female backpackers from the Netherlands, after our short chat they decided to join us on our search for a game of cricket. We didn't find cricket, but they turned out to be great company. We spend the evening on Mumbai's watershore. The sound of the waves and friendly conversation were almost enough to drown out the non-stop taxi honking and general noise that is Mumbai.

My fellow travelers!
It's about time I move on to another city. I payed for an additional night at my hostel, 775rs($17) to figure out where I am going and to get some train tickets tomorrow.

I will miss those who I've met and experienced Mumbai with over the past couple days, but with new places comes new friendships.


0 comments:

Post a Comment