twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 14: Anjuna Markets

Interesting sites along the way

Today was Wednesday! If it wasn't for others at the hostel I would never know what day of the week it was.

Wednesday is particularly importation as this is when the Goa famous 'flee market' in Anjuna, which is the area I'm staying in, takes place.

After getting some food, and finalizing travel arrangements for some others, a group of us headed off to the market. I thought it would be easy to find but after asking locals for directions we were pointed down some unknown back-roads that I've never seen before. Along the way we met a dog, who responded to 'Foxy', that literally guided us all the way to the market.

It still isn't busy season here in Anjuna so the five of us where a large portion of all the foreigners there. We of course gathered lots of attention, some of the most heard lines today were 'come look my shop' and 'friend, just look. you promised. okay?'. At one point I ran into one of the merchant women who knew my name then suddenly all the others caught on, 'Simon. Simon. Come look my shop.'


I ended up buying three new t-shirts and a straw hat in the market for a total of 360rs ($8).

My new KingFisher t-shirt
Interesting fact: in India I'm an XL-XXL, which seems ridiculous considering I'm a medium back home.

Insulin pump update: I just check my FedEx tracking and my insulin pump has just arrived in New Delhi. If I get it within the next couple days I will be able to join up with some friends from the hostel heading south. The pump may have gotten to India fast, but India has a habit of doing everything in a very slow and inefficient manner. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment