twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Day 3: Still in Mumbai

I keep loosing track of what day it is. Once again only got 2-3 hours of sleep, if that, as I was up all night sweating and researching where to go next.

I went down for breakfast at a simple restaurant next door to my hostel and decided to start up a conversation with a fellow who looked like he had been traveling for a while. Turns out his name is Matthew, from the UK, and he is just finishing his time in India after six months. He was more than happy to share his experiences both good and bad with me. He has traveled to every populated continent and said India has been, by far, the most difficult place he's stayed. He told me about his first week, trusting those he shouldn't have, loosing all his money, breaking down and wanting to give up then finding a way to turn it into his favorite most exciting trip yet.

It was exactly what I needed. During my first few days in India I have experienced some major break downs mixed in with some of the most wonderful moments. India seems to be a land of contrast, always switching back from one extreme to the other in every way possible. Last night I wondered why I was even in India and if I should just go somewhere else, or back home. After talking with Mathew I was re-energized, he said the best way to cope with the chaos is to simply "let it all go and just go with the flow".

I had to run some errands on my own today, the most exciting was booking a ticket at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (prevously known as the Victoria Trainstation). The trainstation is a World Heritage site, of UNESCO, as well as the busiest in the world with more than 2 million people passing through it each day!

Week almost 3 weeks of not shaving
All of Mumbai is a maze of sorts, but being a foreign tourist has its benefits. Whenever I am lost someone will ask me where I'm looking for, if they don't know where it is they will find someone who does. Always taken with a grain of salt, but so far 95% of the locals are very friendly (with the other 5% being on the contrasting side).

No pictures today as I left my camera in my room, so instead i"ll throw in one with an update on my beard. (See picture to the right)

I have a train booked for mid(ish) next week.. hmm.. I really need to keep track of dates better. Until then I'll keep exploring the urban jungle that is Mumbai.

0 comments:

Post a Comment