twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 4: Crawford Market

I'm happy to say I finally got a full night of sleep last night! Seems like my body is finally switching timezones.

In the early morning Nathan and I went wondering down the street markets but almost all of the shops seem to be closed on Sundays. Instead of continuing to search we opted for the Citi Mall, which cost only 45rp($1) to get to in a taxi from Hotel New Bengal. There was a pharmacy beside the mall so I finally got my much needed Malaria medications for less than 1/10th of what it would have cost if I got them while in Canada. [12 weeks of medication for 770rs($14)]

Crawford Market
Getting taxi drivers to use their meter is getting a lot easier than it had been over the past couple days.

When arriving back at our hostel I checked out the Crawford Market for the first time. Although the market is known as the fruit and veg market it also has live animals, meat (or as Indians call it 'non-veg'), and a black market (which sells watches, jewelry, electronics, and some less legal things).

'Not for Eating' they tell me.
When mid afternoon approached Nathan finally had to depart for his train to Rajasthan (a northern desert state) for the remainder of his journey in India. I wish him the best of luck and hope he enjoys the rest of his trip.

Favorite purchase of today: A silver lightly patterned wool shawl imported from Kashmir. The original price was 1000rs($20) but I was able to get it for 275rs($6) after some heavy negotiations, walking away (then being called back, twice), and having the benifit of first sale of the day on my hand (which merchants consider luckly thus giving more leeway during negotiations).

I'm so exausted from all the heat and walking today. I've been going through 3-5Ls of fluids per day. I think it's about time to pass out for tonight, take care.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude are these the only places you have been so far in Mumbai....If yes then then you have seen nothing...theres a lot you can do der...

Btw nice blog.....do keep writing...n if need ne help comment back...

Simon S said...

Thank you. These aren't by any means all the places I've been. There is only so much that I can write every day so I will only be covering little bits here and there.

I haven't gotten to most of northern Mumbai yet as I have been spending most my time south of the airports. There is so much to see in Mumbai that I would have to spend weeks here to cover it all. I will also be coming back here at the end of my trip to cover some of the big things I have missed.

Anonymous said...

I miss being in mumbai n India...I hope you enjoy ur trip...cheers...

Post a Comment