twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Gathering Gear: Backpack


Here is it, my backpack of choice for India:
Osprey Aether 60L
I have been waiting almost a month for a backpack I ordered in through a local hiking store to arrive. The city I live in has a very limited selection of stores to choose from that stock quality backpacks, so I was getting quite distressed with my trip now less than two weeks away. After work yesterday I decided enough was enough, I headed over to the store to start looking at some other options. On the way to the store my phone rings, they just received my backpack from the dealer!

There are a couple of issues with the bag, mainly security and 'lockability'. Overall, I love the bag's design and how comfortable it is. I am currently brain storming to find some solutions to the security weak-points, I'll keep you updated on my progress!

4 comments:

vivek said...

Hi
What mods did you make to your backpack to make it more secure? i dont see myself buying this pacsafe net.
I have the baltoro 70 which is quite similar to yours.

Also how is the airline tote working out for you? which size did you pruchase?
i am currently in the final stages for my year+ trip
Thanks
vivek

Simon S said...

Hi Vivek,

I ended up buying a couple locks for my bag but I never use them. When I'm walking around or on the train I just throw the rain cover over the bag so no one can slip in to it without me noticing.

The airline tote was great for flights and when I travel alone. If I don't have anyone else that can watch my bag on the train I throw it in the airline tote and lock it under the seat.

The main things I need for safty are: rain-cover, airline tote, small lock to lock the airline tote zippers, and a bike chain (combination) lock to lock my bag to the chair on the train or the rack in the cloak rooms.

Comdination locks are extremly hard to find in India, so buy a few good small ones and a cable one before you leave your country.

vivek said...

Thanks Simon

What size tote did you get?
I may have to order it online. im having a hard time finding something similar in the US

vivek said...

Thanks i got my answer from MEC site

Post a Comment