twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 15: Reflecting on my situation


Today I felt almost back to normal. I'm getting use to controlling my diabetes using old fashion injections but still eagerly await for my pump to arrive.

Over the last couple days I've been doing a bit of reflection on my situation. It seems India forces you to reflex on your situation after everything you see here. The biggest point of reflection for me so far was when my insulin pump went down and I was forced to fight for control of my body. I'm glad in a way that everything has happened as it forced me to remember how well off I really am. Diabetes is all over India as it is a lot of countries, but here it can take all of a families income simply to purchase the most basic of supplies like insulin and syringes. If I had been born into a family, like one of the many found in India, that couldn't afford the medicine there is a good chance I wouldn't be alive today.

It's amazing the things we complain about when those who have so much less, according to our standards, can be so happy. I remember some of the biggest smiles I've ever seen from the children in the slums of Mumbai. At that time I couldn't believe that someone with so little could be so happy but I am starting to understand it now.


 Insulin Pump Update: It had cleared customs in New Delhi earlier today and is now in transit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment