twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 5: Bull Market

I left my hostel at 9am and spent the entire day running around trying to see things while also getting the last remaining errands done.

The Canadian consulate took a nice chunk of my time only to tell me that they might not beable to help me, but I'm free to go back tomorrow and waste more time trying to get their help in changing my visa to a multiple entry. 

Gate surrounding stock exchange
Made it down to a couple of the museums only to find out they are closed on Mondays, but the Mumbai Stock Exchange was near by so it wasn't a complete waste of time. The streets around the building have barricades that only allow pedestrians and not cars through. It was surrounded by guards who where sporting some heavy automatic rifles, which is a common scene in Mumbai but not in these numbers. I managed to snap a shot behind the building before a guard rushed over with his rifle, making it quite clear that pictures are not allowed. 

It seems pictures aren't allowed in a lot of the major sites and public places. I can only guess this is because of the bombing that took place a couple years ago.

I crossed over infront of the stock exchange to a little air-conditioned snack bar and ordered two samosas and a can of 'pinapple mango orange' juice for a total of 45rs ($1). There was a lack of seating available so I joined two young Indian women at their table. Their English was great and so was the conversation as I soon found out they worked in the stock exchange. 

Watch where you step!
Several hours later I was back by Victoria Station searching for a mobile phone. I ended up getting a brand new samsung cellphone for 1,300rs($28) but couldn't manage to buy a SIM card. Pre-paid SIM cards are everywhere but the identification you have to provide to get one is crazy. The list of things I will have to bring tomorrow: passport (with visa), photocopy of passport, 2 passport photos, hotel receipt, and they also suggested I bring another government photo ID just in case.

By 5pm my legs where getting weak from all the heat and having to dodge traffic, merchants, and other pedestrians all day. I am back at my hostel to shower and recharge (Mango juice is amazing for regaining energy) before I head back out for the night.

Favorite moment of the day so far: Being abruptly ran off the road by two huge bulls pulling a man on a bicycle in front of the stock exchange. (Those of you who know stock market/finance terminology will also appreciate this with me, ha ha)

2 comments:

Brett said...

Good thing it wasn't two bears...lmao.

Simon S said...

haha, an american traveler and I actually spent a good 10 mins yesterday trying to explain, while also acting out, what a bear is to an Indian. It was hopeless though, I don't think they have any here.

Post a Comment