twitter
    Find out what I'm doing, Follow Me :)

Friday, October 29, 2010

Dancing, Cake, and Capitalism: Election Time


I had just finished checking some train details at an internet cafe when a huge crowd of cheering people with music and signs crowded me on the streets in Fort Kochi. I’ve gotten use to the rule of dancing first and asking questions later, so I joined the crowd of cheerful locals as we danced and cheered our way down the street.

The festivities were in celebration of the local independent party winning the in the state elections. I’m glad to be here when it happened as it is the first time in 30 years, according to the locals, that the communist party is no longer in power.

After dancing I got free cake, which also happened back in Mumbai, I have no idea what type of cake it was or how to explain its taste. Maybe it was influenced by the heart warming feeling of capitalism overtaking communism, but the cake was delightful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment